| Official Website
City of Clarksville, MO
Jo Anne Smiley, Mayor
111 Howard Street Phone: 573.242.3336
P.O. Box 530 Fax: 573.242.3450
Clarksville, MO 63336 Email: email@example.com
EMERGENCY Phone # 573-754-0954
1800 - 1809 Early settlements (temporary) made by pioneers,
including James Burns, Samuel Ewing, James O'Neal and
Frederick Dixon, were established.
1812 - 1815 Early settlers were massacred, including William
Jordan and son near Buffalo Fort and the family of James
O'Neal three miles north of Clarksville, at a place know as
the Jaeger Farm. After this time, the people moved to Ft.
Woods at Troy and Ft. Stout Auburn for safety.
1817 Settlement first became known as Clarksville,
supposedly named for William Clark, of the Lewis and
Clark expedition, and who served as governor of the
Louisiana Territory from 1813-1820..
1819 Article of agreement filed in Recorder's Office in the
County Courthouse at Bowling Green, in which James
Burns deeded to William McPike his half-interest in the
land he had settled and where Clarksville is now located.
1820 John R. Carter, engaged in a mercantile business in
Clarksville, shipped to New Orleans, on a flat boat, 60
hogshead of tobacco, some exported to Europe.
1820 "General Putnam", first steamboat to venture north of
St. Louis anchored at Clarksville.
1830 "Blue Lodge" of the Masonic Order, organized. Third
Masonic Lodge to be organized in Missouri.
1835 Methodist Episcopal Church South, organized.
1847 Clarksville incorporated by Governor John Miller
on land patented to him by Pres. James Monroe.
1850 Clarksville received charter.
1860 Population approached 1200 with dry good
stores, grocery stores, drug stores, hardware
stores, meat markets, restaurants, a bakery, one hotel, a
printing office, barber shops and eight factories including
a vinegar factory, a milling company, a stave and barrel
factory, two tobacco factories, a paper mill, a foundry
and a saw mill. Local vineyards yielded 12,000 gallons of
1869 Grace Episcopal Church built.
Clarksville & Western Railway Company organized.
1871 Clifford Banking Company established.
1873 Mississippi Valley Railway & was subsequently
purchased by St. Louis, Keokuk & North Western
Railway Co in 1875. Rail service extended into
St. Louis in 1879.
1876 First hotel constructed – The Carroll House
1880 Population reached 1600.
1886 Clarksville chosen for location of 50 mile bicycle
race & 100 mile race in 1887.
1910 Public Library built.
1921 Public Water system completed.
1937 Fire Department organized.
1938 Municipal Light and Power Plant constructed.
1939 Lock & Dam #24 construction completed.
1953 Clopton School constructed.
1962 Skylift construction completed.
1966 Natural gas piped into community
Dundee Cement Company constructed.(now Holcim)
1970 First public sanitary sewer completed.
2006 Clarksville population 490
Great River Road and is one of the most scenic highways along the Mississippi
River. It overlooks U.S. Lock and Dam 24, providing a close vantage point to
view all river boat and barge traffic. This City, located in Pike County, is also
one of the largest winter migrating areas for the Bald Eagle. Clarksville is filled
with artists, potters, glass blowers, jewelry designers, antique dealers, furniture
makers, and specialty craftsmen.
Clarksville, MO is on a National Scenic Byway and lies halfway between
Canada and the Gulf of Mexico, halfway between Hannibal and St. Louis, MO
and is near the Clarence Cannon Dam and Mark Twain Lake. It rests at the
foot of Lookout Point/Sky Lift Hill, the top of which affords an 800 square mile
view of the river and valley and is one of the highest points on the Mississippi
Pike County was the childhood home of Mrs. Albert P. Greensfelder, the
wife of the St. Louis civic leader who was the originator of the Great River Road
from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.
With the historic Mark Twain lore of Hannibal, the beautiful homes and estates
in the Louisiana and Clarksville areas of Pike County, the first Missouri Capitol
and Old Town area of St. Charles, and the numerous attractions of the St. Louis
scene, Clarksville offers its' own unique place on an incomparable route for travel.