Official Website
City of Clarksville, MO
            City of Clarksville Missouri
                                           Jo Anne Smiley, Mayor
    111 Howard Street                                           Phone: 573.242.3336
    P.O. Box 530                                                        Fax: 573.242.3450
    Clarksville, MO 63336                Email:
       EMERGENCY Phone # 573-754-0954

    Clarksville History
    1800 - 1809  Early settlements (temporary) made by pioneers,
    including James Burns, Samuel Ewing, James O'Neal and
    Frederick Dixon, were established.     
    1812 - 1815  Early settlers were massacred, including William
    Jordan and son near Buffalo Fort and the family of James
    O'Neal three miles north of Clarksville, at a place know as
    the Jaeger Farm.  After this time, the people moved to Ft.
    Woods at Troy and Ft. Stout Auburn for safety.     
    1817  Settlement first became known as Clarksville,
    supposedly named for William Clark, of the Lewis and
    Clark expedition, and who served as governor of the
    Louisiana Territory from 1813-1820..
    1819  Article of agreement filed in Recorder's Office in the
    County Courthouse at Bowling Green, in which James
    Burns deeded to William McPike his half-interest in the
    land he had settled and where Clarksville is now located.
    1820   John R. Carter, engaged in a mercantile business in
    Clarksville, shipped to New Orleans, on a flat boat, 60
    hogshead of tobacco, some exported to Europe.
    1820    "General Putnam", first steamboat to venture north of  
    St. Louis anchored at Clarksville.
    1830    "Blue Lodge" of the Masonic Order, organized.  Third
    Masonic Lodge to be organized in Missouri.
    1835     Methodist Episcopal Church South, organized.
    1847     Clarksville incorporated by Governor John Miller
    on land patented to him by Pres. James Monroe.
    1850    Clarksville received charter.

    1860  Population approached 1200 with dry good
    stores,  grocery stores, drug stores, hardware
    stores, meat markets, restaurants, a bakery, one hotel, a
    printing office, barber shops and eight factories including
    a vinegar factory, a milling company, a stave and  barrel  
    factory, two tobacco factories, a paper mill, a foundry
    and a saw mill.  Local vineyards yielded 12,000 gallons of
    wine annually.
    1869 Grace Episcopal Church built.
    Clarksville & Western Railway Company organized.
    1871 Clifford Banking Company established.
    1873 Mississippi Valley Railway & was subsequently
    purchased by St. Louis, Keokuk & North Western
    Railway Co in 1875.  Rail service extended into
    St. Louis in 1879.
    1876  First hotel constructed – The Carroll House
    1880  Population reached 1600.
    1886  Clarksville chosen for location of 50 mile bicycle
    race & 100 mile race in 1887.
    1910  Public Library built.
    1921  Public Water system completed.
    1937  Fire Department organized.        
    1938  Municipal Light and Power Plant constructed.
    1939  Lock & Dam #24 construction completed.
    1953  Clopton School constructed.
    1962  Skylift construction completed.
    1966  Natural gas piped into community
    Dundee Cement Company constructed.(now Holcim)
    1970  First public sanitary sewer completed.
    2006  Clarksville population 490

                               Clarksville, MO is located on Missouri Highway 79 which is part of the        
    Great River Road and is one of the most scenic highways along the Mississippi          
    River.  It overlooks U.S. Lock and Dam 24, providing a close vantage point to
    view all river boat and barge traffic.  This City, located in Pike County, is also
    one of the largest winter migrating areas for the Bald Eagle.  Clarksville is filled          
    with artists, potters, glass blowers, jewelry designers, antique dealers, furniture          
    makers, and specialty craftsmen.

        Clarksville, MO is on a National Scenic Byway and lies halfway between         
    Canada and the Gulf of Mexico, halfway between Hannibal and St. Louis, MO
    and is near the Clarence Cannon Dam and Mark Twain Lake.  It rests at the
    foot of Lookout Point/Sky Lift Hill, the top of which affords an 800 square mile
    view of the river and valley and is one of the highest points on the Mississippi             

        Pike County was the childhood home of Mrs. Albert P. Greensfelder, the          
    wife of the St. Louis civic leader who was the originator of the Great River Road
    from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.

        With the historic Mark Twain lore of Hannibal, the beautiful homes and estates      
    in the Louisiana and Clarksville areas of Pike County, the first Missouri Capitol
    and Old Town area of St. Charles, and the numerous attractions of the St. Louis        
    scene, Clarksville offers its' own unique place on an incomparable route for travel.
Seal Adopted on January 11, 1822
Seal Adopted by Ordinance on February 22, 2007